Alkaline vs Acidic Food : An Apple AND a Lemon a Day Keeps the Doctor Away?
SHORTLINK FOR SHARING! :: http://bit.ly/alkalizeLMF
Please feel free to share. It’s important for all of us to know this basic knowledge to support health.
I post a lot about “Music” and “Fun” vs. “Life” but this LIFE topic has been on my mind a lot lately. I started “LifeMusicFun” to be able to share the widest range of topics that include anything related to Life (Art/Wellness/etc.), Music, and Fun (Events, Festivals, etc.). This post is an example of LIFE information that should be shared.
When I talk to people about pH balance, they seem shocked or uninformed about this topic. We need educate ourselves NOW about the importance of nourishing our bodies. We are all constantly learning and adjusting. I hope you learn and adjust your lifestyles, armed with your own research and some of the information below…
“DO YOU EAT TO LIVE? OR LIVE TO EAT?” (I’ll never forget a friend saying this, as he talked about the declining health of his mother and how she ate junk food and every processed food item in sight…) If you eat to live – you maintain a relatively slightly alkaline/basic environment (our natural or neutral pH/acidity level is actually slightly alkaline/basic). The stomach is very acidic, so you don’t want to add more acid to your stomach – you want to balance it with alkaline/basic foods (higher pH). If you live to eat, you continue acidic foods, and eat junk food, meat and dairy, and smoke and drink alcohol without fear of consequence.
Here is summary about pH from WebMD:
“First, a little chemistry: A pH level measures how acid or alkaline something is. A pH of 0 is totally acidic, while a pH of 14 is completely alkaline. A pH of 7 is neutral. Those levels vary throughout your body. Your blood is slightly alkaline, with a pH between 7.35 and 7.45. Your stomach is very acidic, with a pH of 3.5 or below, so it can break down food. And your urine changes, depending on what you eat – that’s how your body keeps the level in your blood steady.
The alkaline diet claims to help your body maintain its blood pH level. …
But the foods you’re supposed to eat on the alkaline diet are good for you: lots of fruits and vegetables, and lots of water. Avoiding sugar, alcohol, and processed foods is healthy weight-loss advice, too.”
Cancer cells exist in every single one of us. I forgot about this fact until I revisited some research, recently. The difference between people with “cancer diagnoses” and those without cancer is the overgrowth / stimulation and production of these cells. An “acidic” state supports cancer and MANY illnesses (I would venture to say ALL illnesses, but there are always exceptions, somewhere). Cancer is VERY happy when you put your body in an acidic state. Please don’t do this to your body and try to eat foods that create a more neutral/alkaline/basic state.
The pH level or acidity/alkalinity of the food you eat MATTERS for your wellness. An acidic state promotes health problems and creates and environment for illness and cancer cells to thrive. Do you have pain? Or illness? Your body is likely in an acidic/alarmed/disrupted state. You WANT your body to be in an alkaline state to avoid illness and ILLness and you want to have WELLness and be WELL / HEALTHY! Aim for those alkaline foods / higher pH numbers!
I dislike the term “diet.” “Diet” is a misnomer. Eating = diet. We eat food to survive, to nourish ourselves. Or do we? What do you eat? People talk about vegetarianism or veganism or meatless diets ALL the time. The POINT is: we should eat foods that are NOT acidic and at least TRY not to eat meats and dairy and acidic foods.
Which foods/drinks do you think are acidic? The ACIDIC list includes:
- CIGARETTES (Obviously not a food – but this is a big one that helps those cancer cells thrive.)
- CARBONATED BEVERAGES / COLA / SODA / SOFT DRINKS – AVOID! Very low pH levels and EXTREMELY acidic! I hate to say it – but cigarettes are essentially BETTER for you than soda.
- MOST GRAINS / PASTA – Tough one, since grains/pasta are rampant in many countries – but limit and be aware of your intake.
- BOTTLED + DISTILLED + “PURIFIED” WATER
- ENHANCED/FLAVORED SPORTS DRINKS / VITAMIN WATER
- BACON – Bummer! I know I used to love bacon – there’s something about it that is very satisfying but it is bad for you! I assume it satisfies us when we need sodium and are extremely dehydrated (think of hanging out in the desert – i.e., Burning Man). Drink your water! (By the way Purified/Distilled Water is ACIDIC! Tap water is neutral! Depending on where you live, you may want a to filter impurities including metals and bacteria.
- COFFEE – Another bummer for many people… Hopefully your alkaline diet will energize you enough so you don’t need this boost.
- POWDERED/LIQUID STEVIA – However, The Stevia PLANT is ALKALINE! We are constantly mislead…. Apparently “Stevia is good for you” is only true if you’re consuming the actual plant.
- Fish – But certain Fish OILS are ALKALINE!
- FRIED FOODS / FRENCH FRIES
- IODIZED TABLE SALT
- FRUIT JUICES – Unless they’re raw/fresh. You should especially avoid sugar-added juices.
- COOKED SPINACH – Yes. This is considered acidic. Raw is better for you!
- PEANUTS / MOST NUTS – CHESTNUTS/ALMONDS are the main exceptions and are alkaline.
- EGGS – Another tough one for a lot of us!
Which foods do you think are ALKALINE?
- LEMON + LIME JUICE – Both are chemically acids but actually alkalize when metabolized by the body!
- FRUITS! – Organic is preferred because who knows what kind of other toxins (acidic) are in the chemicals used in mass agriculture…
- VEGETABLES! – RAW is ideal! KALE is great!
- FRESH/RAW JUICES
- CHESTNUTS / ALMONDS – Get unsalted! Iodized salt is ACIDIC!
- BAKING SODA
I could elaborate or go through pH charts all day – but you get the point, right? I’ve noticed some pH charts definitely vary – but you should have a general understanding of what foods are good and better for you. Processed vs. fresh matters. Organic vs. inorganic matters too. Fruits and vegetables vs meats and dairy. NO carbonated beverages/soda/fried or junk foods!
You can eat meat if you want – but obviously eat very sparingly – unless you want illness/cancer…. You can eat dairy – but you MUST know that eating a ton of dairy is NOT good for you. Avoid carbonated beverages and sugar as much as you can. Again – stay away from junk / fried and “fast” food. In actuality – a piece of fruit or vegetable is the FASTEST food – just make sure it’s washed and cleaned of impurities and without mold and GO!
Do you want your body to be in an acidic state so that you’re sick all the time or have pain all the time or so you get cancer or some other chronic illness? Do you want to feed your cancer cells and illness? I hope you do not.
If you’re still not convinced, and need research regarding the above, there is: The China Study. Another way to look at alkaline vs acidic is plant-based (fruits and vegetables) vs. non-plant based foods. Yes – there are some plants that are slightly acidic but the vast majority of plants are alkaline.
Here is a summary of The China Study via The China Study website:
“Americans spend far more, per capita, on health care than any other society in the world and yet two-thirds of Americans are overweight. As trendy diets and weight-loss frenzy sweep the nation, more than 15 million Americans have diabetes and our children are increasingly falling prey to a form of diabetes that used to be seen only in adults. If we’re obsessed with being thin more so than ever before, why are Americans stricken with chronic illnesses, such as heart disease, as much as we were 30 years ago?
It all comes down to three things: breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
In The China Study, Dr. T. Colin Campbell, Professor Emeritus at Cornell University, details the connection between nutrition and heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. Recognized as the most comprehensive nutritional study ever conducted on the relationship between diet and the risk of developing disease, The China Study cuts through the haze of misinformation and examines the source of nutritional confusion produced by government entities, lobbies, and opportunistic scientists.
The China Study, a national bestseller co-authored by Dr. Campbell and his son, Thomas M. Campbell, MD, has sold more than 1 million copies since it was first published in 2005. It is the foundation upon which a nationwide plant-based diet movement is based. The China Study presents a clear and concise message of hope as it dispels a multitude of health myths and misinformation.
The science is clear. If you want to be healthy, change your diet.”
The China Study Suggests these 8 Principles of Food and Health
- Nutrition represents the combined activities of countless food substances. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
- Vitamin supplements are not a panacea for good health.
- There are virtually no nutrients in animal-based foods that are not better provided by plants.
- Genes do not determine disease on their own. Genes function only by being activated, or expressed, and nutrition plays a critical role in determining which genes, good and bad, are expressed.
- Nutrition can substantially control the adverse effects of noxious chemicals.
- The same nutrition that prevents disease in its early stages can also halt or reverse it in its later stages.
- Nutrition that is truly beneficial for one chronic disease will support health across the board.
- Good nutrition creates health in all areas of our existence. All parts are interconnected.
Again – do your own research and learn more about The China Study and eating those whole and plant-based foods!
A few resources below. There are MANY resources. Please do your OWN research and take control of YOUR life.
This is an awesome article! Great tips to get started! Check out her site and books! All full of great information!
10 Ways to Alkalize Your Body Today by Dr. Michelle Schoffro Cook!
“Acidity has been linked to pain, excess weight and many other health issues. Fortunately, making your body more alkaline (the opposite of acidic) is easy. Here are 10 ways to alkalize your body for more energy and vitality:
1. Start your day with a large glass of water with the juice of a whole, freshly-squeezed lemon. While lemons may seem acidic, they have the opposite effect on your body as it metabolizes them.
2. Eat a large green salad tossed in lemon juice and olive oil. Greens are among the best sources of alkaline minerals, like calcium.
3. Snack on raw, unsalted almonds. Almonds are packed with natural alkaline minerals like calcium and magnesium, which help to balance out acidity while balancing blood sugar.
4. Drink an almond milk and berry smoothie with added green powder like spirulina, chlorella, or other greens. Choose almond milk over cow’s milk, since the latter is acid-forming.
5. Go for a brisk walk or some other exercise. Exercise helps move acidic waste products so your body can better eliminate them.
6. Breathe deeply. Ideally, choose a spot that has fresh, oxygen-rich air. And, sorry Febreze, Glade, and all the other so-called “air fresheners”: air filled with these scents is not what I’m talking about here.
7. Go meat-free for a day… or longer if you like. During the metabolism of meat, there is an acid residue left behind.
8. Skip the sugar-laden dessert or soda. Sugar is one of the mosyogt acidic foods we consume. You need over 30 glasses of neutral water just to neutralize the acidity of ONE can of soda.
9. Add more veggies to your diet. No, potatoes don’t count. But sweet potatoes are a good choice (provided you’re not slathering them in sweeteners or butter). Asparagus, squash, peppers, and other vegetables are also excellent choices.
10. Sprout it out. Add more sprouts to your daily diet. They are extremely alkalizing and supercharged with nutrients and energy-boosting enzymes.”
I searched for my original title “A Lemon a Day Keeps the Doctor Away” and ran into this awesome, informative article! Had to adjust my article title slightly…
There is definitely some truth to these “lemon juice diets.” Keep it alkalized!
“A Lemon a Day Keeps the Doctor Away” (February 2011) by Sabine / Some Like It Raw
Some Like It Raw has really inspiring and awesome articles! Obviously, this one struck me IMMEDIATELY:
“Health Foodie Festival Season Survival Guide” (July 2013) by Sabine / Some Like It Raw
“Hallelujah, it’s that time of year again! I am not talking about cherry season, or bikini season (or, in case of Dutch residency, rain-only-4-days-a-week-hurray-season), or the season your favorite TV show starts up again. I am talking about Festival Season.
Whatever festival(s) you go to this year, be it Coachella, Rock Werchter, Sziget, Enchanted Forest, Burning Man, Ozora, Wanderlust, it’s always a challenge to maintain feeling (eh, and looking) hot until the very last day. Scorching temps, dehydration, poor food options/choices, severe sleep deprivation, dust everywhere, the occasional intoxication…. it’s not a pretty sight (thankfully our amazeballs outfits make up for a whole lot… see Exhibits A, B, C, D).
Now, while I am nowhere near pro when it comes to the technical, practical and actually useful stuff that one should consider when going to festivals (unless glitter counts), I did manage to provide myself, my festival tribe, and the odd stranger with plenty of smart nutrition back-up last year, which really helped not feeling like the walking dead after 10 continuous days of partying it up Vladnik style (bonus points for reference). So, without further ado, here is my ultimate…
Health Foodie Festival Season Survival Guide
1. Le Basics
Because you never know what you’re gonna get (and because undereating can be just as harmful -at times like this- than overeating/eating crap) : bring rations! Last year I made about a kilo (if not more) of trailmix (a variety of nuts, seeds, dried fruit & cacao nibs) in a big ziplock back (and I brought small baggies so I could bring some with me during the day). I also brought; dried crackers, tea, my own blend of superfood powders (all mixed in one big jar and with cacao added for taste so I could mix it with just water), dried fruit, raw energy bars, electrolyte gel, vega one nutritional shake packages, even zeolite (ok I might have gone a tad overboard with this one). Basically; have caloric back-up in case the food on offer is really terrible.
2. Immune System Boosters
Now another issue at hand is to keep feeling vibrant and sexy throughout the week, and runny noses, cold sores or coughing up blood are just not very sexy.
Ideally, you’ll want to invest in your immune system more than the actual food stuffs, and you’ll want to start boosting your immunity (way) before festival season. But, it’s never too late!
My top picks; Goji berries, bee pollen, (stabilized) probiotics, enchinacea, spirulina/chlorella (powder or tablets) and ample Vitamin C (again; bring lemons. No artificial Vit C please), and RAW multivitamins.
3. Extra Energy & Vitality
Festivals are non-stop and can be seriously draining. Follow my top tips below, and support your body with some natural whole foods supplementation for extra zing.
My top picks; Ypadu (green energy powder made from coca leafs (we were quite popular at BOOM festival last year for carrying around this amazing stuff), Merlins ‘Herbal Magic Root Elixer’ (a blend of, like, 20 different herbs), any and all FRUIT (bring dates!), maca, green tea. Steer clear from caffeine; it is dehydrating and over-stimulating (which, trust me, you don’t need/want at a festival).
Raw Food Cafe & Permaculture Garden at BOOM 2012:
Tips n Tricks
1. DRINK. For God’s sake, DRINK. Hydration is key. But here’s the real Golden Nugget; bring lemons (or electrolyte packages, Vega’s brand carries them) for real proper hydration and mineral replenishment.
2. Bring disinfecting hand gel
3. Festivals are NOT the time to work on your tan. Heat stroke, nausea, sun burn and general aggravation are no fun kids.
4. Next to hydration, sleep is crucial (tip: sleeping naked in the sun doesn’t count. Trust me). Know that you won’t be able to sleep in past 9-10 AM because of the Sun ‘gently’ forcing you to up and move. Make sure you go to bed at a decent hour every other night. This prevents you wanting to kill the rest of the hippies by day 5.6
5. Check out if the festival site has health(ish) food options, a permaculture garden, raw food bar/cafe, and/or a supermarket. Device a plan of attack. Mine included going to the supermarket every day at the crack of dawn and carry back a humongous watermelon, and picking fresh greens and zucchini some of the nights to make a salad (dressed up with my nuts, homemade salad dressing and raw crackers).
6. Don’t do drugs. Stay in school. (But if you must, choose your drugs wisely. Amphetamines are bad for you long and short term. Coming down whilst at a festival? Not cool. Psychelics are way more fun, less harmful, no comedowns. Just sayin.
Now if all of the above fails, just rely on your outfits <3
Exhibits A, B, C, D:
What festivals are you attending? Me: Nowhere (Spain), the Rainbow Gathering (Greece. Not technically a ‘festival’ but hippies + sun equals festival to me) and Ozora (Hungary).
ENJOY FESTIVAL SEASON & SEE YOU IN AUGUST!!”
I stumbled upon this since I wondered: Does chemotherapy really work? Or doe the accompanying alkalizing protocols “cure” cancer?
“Baking Soda Cancer Studies and pH Medicine” by Dr. Sircus (May 2012)
“The pH level of our internal fluids affects every cell in our body. Chronic over-acidity corrodes body tissue, and if left unchecked will interrupt all cellular activities and functions. In other words, over-acidity interferes with life itself. It is at the root of cancer.”
“The ocean, the mother of all life, has an average pH of about 8.1. The ideal pH for blood sits at about 7.4, slightly alkaline—not acidic.” – Jon Barron
A great chart! Thanks, pHresh!
One of my favorite, eye-opening pH charts! Thank you Air Water Life!
GREAT chart! Thank you, Alkasense! You make the world a better place!
Please message on the LifeMusicFun Facebook Page with any comments or edits! Thank you!